
After our introduction to the cyberspace program of Second Life in class I was amazed at how the internet has taken over face to face personal interaction and to say the least it disturbed me. The statistics covering teen suicide say that teens these days feel a sense of loneliness. So, does Second Life promote more solidarity and less socialization?
I checked out Global Kids' Digital Media Initiative and have been pleasantly surprised at the connection these teens had during a paleontology study/project based in Tanzania. WOW, what a concept and opportunity to learn as first hand as possible without actually being there. Also, to note the relationships they formed with other human beings during this project. Here's some of their quotes:
[IDT] Final Reflection
"The first day of I Dig Tanzania, I was very excited to meet old and new friends. The first workshop, we met the Chicago kids on Second Life, got split up into teams and were able to cooperate with them through TSL. The same interaction done with the fossil hunt in Tanzania. I enjoyed it very much, and so did everyone else."
"When I started this project I knew nothing of paleontology and what they do. I have not only learned about them, I have learned with my friends."
"While working in those days, we had the privilege to talk to actual paleontologists in Tanzania via satellite."
"Since the program started I have learned a lot of things and made new friends from Chicago." (Well, there goes my theory about social isolation ;-)
"I feel like I have gained a better perspective on people, fossils and the world that is behind all of it. My respect and curiosity is beyond grown. I am now so much more intrigued and full of knowledge. " (Do you think this student is going to be a lifelong learner? :-)
So, now my vision of having my Spanish students do an Internet travel program to different Spanish speaking countries is evolving. What if our class sends a picture to another class learning English and they take our photo around and take pictures of their environment and send us their reflections on their life, while we do the same? The class could be divided into groups who decide which aspect of their lives they would like to show and discuss with the hispanic class...hmmmm...This vision is growing! Although I would feel much more comfortable doing it in a Blog form because Second Life still seems so complicated to me.
I checked out Global Kids' Digital Media Initiative and have been pleasantly surprised at the connection these teens had during a paleontology study/project based in Tanzania. WOW, what a concept and opportunity to learn as first hand as possible without actually being there. Also, to note the relationships they formed with other human beings during this project. Here's some of their quotes:
[IDT] Final Reflection
"The first day of I Dig Tanzania, I was very excited to meet old and new friends. The first workshop, we met the Chicago kids on Second Life, got split up into teams and were able to cooperate with them through TSL. The same interaction done with the fossil hunt in Tanzania. I enjoyed it very much, and so did everyone else."
"When I started this project I knew nothing of paleontology and what they do. I have not only learned about them, I have learned with my friends."
"While working in those days, we had the privilege to talk to actual paleontologists in Tanzania via satellite."
"Since the program started I have learned a lot of things and made new friends from Chicago." (Well, there goes my theory about social isolation ;-)
"I feel like I have gained a better perspective on people, fossils and the world that is behind all of it. My respect and curiosity is beyond grown. I am now so much more intrigued and full of knowledge. " (Do you think this student is going to be a lifelong learner? :-)
So, now my vision of having my Spanish students do an Internet travel program to different Spanish speaking countries is evolving. What if our class sends a picture to another class learning English and they take our photo around and take pictures of their environment and send us their reflections on their life, while we do the same? The class could be divided into groups who decide which aspect of their lives they would like to show and discuss with the hispanic class...hmmmm...This vision is growing! Although I would feel much more comfortable doing it in a Blog form because Second Life still seems so complicated to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment