Can I really understand the Blogging process well enough to use in my classroom setting? Time will tell...
Until then I am asking everyone I know if they Blog, how they use it and what they use it for. Recently, an elementary principal shared that their third grade classroom used a class Blog to document a group project. Each student created a cardboard 'Henry' that was mailed out to different parts of the world. Each person receiving the 'Henry' took pictures for two weeks of everywhere they went with their 'Henry'. When they all came back pictured and journaled about their experience, a teacher put each 'Henry' location and journal onto the class Blog.
The benefits to this project were students being able to collectively see and learn from each others 'Henry' destination. This must have given them a great sense of self worth and accomplishment. Also, parents, adults, and relatives could all share in their student's experience and learn a little themselves.
So, how could I possibly transfer this into my Spanish classroom? Well, I was wanting to do a group project where everyone would 'travel' to a Spanish speaking country, gather information and then present it to the class. Could this possibly work through blogging? Each group could create a posting of their country. Then I would just need a laptop and power point projector to use in the classroom...hmm...are there any grants out there for technology in the classroom?
The downfall is to lower income, or computerless students who would not have access to using a computer. Solution: I do have four computer stations in the back of my classroom that could be used during class time, if I were to set class time apart to do this project.
This does have possibilities.....
Until then I am asking everyone I know if they Blog, how they use it and what they use it for. Recently, an elementary principal shared that their third grade classroom used a class Blog to document a group project. Each student created a cardboard 'Henry' that was mailed out to different parts of the world. Each person receiving the 'Henry' took pictures for two weeks of everywhere they went with their 'Henry'. When they all came back pictured and journaled about their experience, a teacher put each 'Henry' location and journal onto the class Blog.
The benefits to this project were students being able to collectively see and learn from each others 'Henry' destination. This must have given them a great sense of self worth and accomplishment. Also, parents, adults, and relatives could all share in their student's experience and learn a little themselves.
So, how could I possibly transfer this into my Spanish classroom? Well, I was wanting to do a group project where everyone would 'travel' to a Spanish speaking country, gather information and then present it to the class. Could this possibly work through blogging? Each group could create a posting of their country. Then I would just need a laptop and power point projector to use in the classroom...hmm...are there any grants out there for technology in the classroom?
The downfall is to lower income, or computerless students who would not have access to using a computer. Solution: I do have four computer stations in the back of my classroom that could be used during class time, if I were to set class time apart to do this project.
This does have possibilities.....
2 comments:
that's a great project idea for a class blog! Lots of people use blogs for describing their travels - both professionally and personally - and giving the students the chance to pretend they're traveling through the country and describing their trip to each other sounds like a fun way to open up conversation :)
Thanks for your interest and comment Stephanie. What a great idea to document our travels. I was wanting to show the students all the places I had been. Maybe I could do a Travel Blog? Check out the Global Kids comment I made at the end. The class/group blog vision is growing ;-) Jane
Post a Comment