Thursday, August 14, 2008

Advantages of Technology in Education



A few years ago a high school student told me her generation is very comfortable with change. We know families move more often, technology changes almost daily, and the information highway is now limitless due to the internet. I have never forgotten her wise perspective and it seems to be a true statement. As I understand this idea of change I have decided to embrace it and embark on board for the ride. All that to say technology is in the classroom to stay and education is extremely effected by it's presence.


In Learning via Technology, they state early in the article, "...that if technology is used properly in the classroom it can help to produce a major improvement in results. Not just in academic achievement, but also in involvement, attendance and in the overall efficiency of the institution," according to Stephen Crowne, Becta's Chief Executive.


The main areas that showed positive results in their research were:
  • National testing improved beyond expected

  • Teacher's skills improved in learning technology, teaching, and classroom management

  • Classroom atmosphere improved with greater interaction between teachers and students

  • Provided more personalized learning experiences by tailoring individual needs

All of the above areas are very appealing to any teacher. To sum up this article I think it's fair to say if we are going to be effective teachers we all need to be willing to keep changing by updating our technology skills and integrating them into our classroom.




No comments: